Young Psychiatric/Mental Health Nurse Clinician Program
The University of Iowa College of Nursing Young Psychiatric/Mental Health Nurse Clinician program offers a competitive and selective opportunity for undergraduate nursing students who are considering a career in psych/mental health nursing. This mentored experience will facilitate the awareness of the great potential nurses have in providing services to this particular client population. Examples of settings include but are not limited to community mental health clinics, programs of assertive community treatment, psychiatric clinics, and primary care settings in which mental health is integrated. Nursing student participants are selected based upon their academic record, faculty member/faculty mentor/advisor endorsement, interest in mental health issues and career goals.
What will be expected of me during the time of the program?
- Participation in psych/mental health nursing experience averaging 2 hours/week, under the direction of a faculty mentor and/or expert clinician
- Meet regularly with the faculty mentor and/or expert clinician to discuss current issues in psych/mental health
- Attend a psych-mental health conference to advance awareness and understanding of care issues
- Submit a poster abstract or op-ed on a relevant topic within the domain of psych/mental health
What benefits will I receive?
- Work with a mentor who can facilitate your career development
- Receive funds to travel to a psych/mental health conference
- Receive recognition at graduation as a participant of the program
- Develop an appreciation of the issues facing this vulnerable population
Requirements for Applying
- A minimum completion of one year of the plan of study for the College of Nursing /or consent of faculty mentor/ faculty member/advisor
- Identified interest in psych/mental health nursing
- Cumulative GPA of 3.25 or higher
- Two support letters from individuals with evidence of an your interest in psych/mental health (one letter must be from an endorsement from a faculty mentor/faculty member at the College of Nursing)
- One page goal statement describing your interest in psych/mental health and how this experience will advance your career goals
November 1 for spring enrollment
April 1 for fall enrollment
Send your completed application materials to:
Dr. Tess Judge-Ellis
Clinical Associate Professor
Attention: YPMHC Program