Degree Requirements for the RN-BSN Student
A minimum of 128 semester hours and satisfactory completion of all RN-BSN program requirements is required, including prerequisites, general education and elective requirements, and 32 semester hours of required and elective nursing major courses.
Must be in-progress or completed at the time of application to the RN-BSN program:
1. Prerequisites (9 s/h):
- 3 s/h Comp II
- 3 s/h Speech
- 3 s/h Statistics
2. General Education Requirements (12 s/h):
- 3 s/h Values, Society & Diversity
- 3 s/h Literary, Visual & Performing Arts
- 3 s/h International & Global Issues
- 3 s/h Additional course from one area above
You may complete all prerequisites and GERs at your local community college. To find courses that transfer to Iowa for each requirement, use our Course Equivalency Guide at https://isis.uiowa.edu/isis2/courses/transfer/sisearch.page?_ticket=YcykP0RLh_O7EiUy3M05cuKYQl3R1VtH. This is a tool for you to search for courses that transfer from the community college to the University of Iowa.
Brief instructions on how to use the transfer tool are as follows:
The courses that appear will transfer to Iowa for that particular requirement.
Must be complete at the time of matriculation (beginning) the RN-BSN program:
1. Nursing Degree (ADN/Diploma)
2. RN License
Complete prior to conferring (graduating) with your BSN:
1. General Education Electives (11 s/h):
- 5 s/h completed prior to matriculation into the program
- 6 s/h completed prior completing the nursing major
Students should work with the RN-BSN program office for assistance in selecting electives. Recommendations would be a college-level chemistry course and/or an upper level statistic course.
2. Foreign Language (dependent upon your date of high school graduation):
Prior to 1991: Exempt from foreign language requirement
1991 – Present: 2nd level proficiency of same foreign language